Georgetown (December 4, 2019)
We passed by The Phillips School which was built in 1890 to serve east Georgetown’s large African-American population of the time. It is named after the abolitionist Wendell Phillips. The school closed in 1950 due to declining enrollment and was used as an administrative building for some years. In 1970 it was sold to the Washington International School for $500,000. When WIS moved its campus in 1998, it sold the school to a developer for $2.1 million who turned it into condos.
We dropped in on Temur Zamani, whose store is a treasure chest of beautiful things from Afghanistan.
The leaves are all falling and some leave (no pun intended) behind traces of their existence on the concrete sidewalks.
We liked this tree tucked into the end of a narrow alley.