Cleveland Park / Cathedral Heights / McLean Gardens (August 10, 2019)
We started this evening’s walk outside Washington Hebrew synagogue with it’s beautiful menorah statue.
Washington Hebrew, formed in 1852, is one of the largest reform congregations in the United States. Macomb Street has been the home of the congregation since the 1950s. On a personal note, our two sons were happy students at Washington Hebrew’s preschool in the late 1990s. Currently, however, Washington Hebrew is facing a number of lawsuits after allegations that an employee at the preschool sexually abused children there from 2016 through 2018.
We passed by two more schools during this evening’s walk. The first was John Eaton, a public elementary school. Eaton opened in 1910 and is named for John Eaton, a teacher and Presbyterian Minister who became a chaplain in Union Army during the Civil War and eventually rose to the rank of General. In 1863 he was appointed as Superintendent of Negro Affairs for the Department of the Tennessee where he supervised the establishment of 74 schools for freedmen. The school is about to begin an extensive two year modernization.
The second was the National Cathedral School, commonly known as NCS.
NCS is an independent Episcopal private day school for girls in grades 4 through 12. It sits on the grounds of the National Cathedral and was founded in 1900 by Phoebe Hearst, who we discussed in a previous post, and Bishop Henry Yates Satterlee.
We loved this beautiful house with its lovely roofline.
On the corner of Massachusetts and Wisconsin avenues is a stately apartment building called Alban Towers.
Alban Towers, built in 1928, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and is considered one of the best examples of Gothic Revival architecture in Washington. None of this impressed Mal’s mom, however, who gave it the nickname, Awful Towers, when Mal’s family lived there for a short time during the 1960s.
We walked by the Second District Headquarters of the Metropolitan Police Department. The Second District covers all of Ward 3.
We have visited the inside of the headquarters on a number of occasions and can confirm that it has that same tired, cluttered look that anyone who has ever watched a cop show on tv would expect.
Tucked in behind the Second District headquarters is the Newark Street Community Garden. It looked to be the largest that we have come across, so far, on our walks.
We ventured into McLean Gardens. McLean Gardens is a 43-acre housing development built in 1942 as temporary housing for wartime defense workers on the estate of newspaper publisher, John McLean. In 1980, the original 31 red brick apartment buildings were converted to condominiums.
Dotted about through the Gardens are a number of classical themed statues.
Clustered around the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Macomb Street are a number of busy restaurants. One of the most popular is the pizza restaurant, 2 Amys.
We finished the walk, back where we began, at Washington Hebrew. With the nights getting shorter, it is getting harder to complete our evening walks before the sun falls.